Monday, December 22, 2003

In his latest Crypto-Gram, Bruce Schneier talks about the value of quantum cryptography:
I don't have any hope for this sort of [quantum-cryptographic] product. I don't have any hope for the commercialization of quantum cryptography in general; I don't believe it solves any security problem that needs solving. I don't believe that it's worth paying for, and I can't imagine anyone but a few technophiles buying and deploying it.

While I see his point, my understanding of the value of quantum cryptography - based almost solely on Simon Singh's The Code Book - is that it's yet to be seen. Secure communications that can only be broken today by an infeasible number of calculations will be broken in the time it takes to perform one such calculation in the age of quantum computing. This will be a new security problem that quantum cryptography can solve.

Update: 8:12:00 PM: Bruce responded to my message:
My point is that software and network security are so lousy that breaking communications never comes down to the calculations, feasible or otherwise. It makes no sense to put a third lock on your front door if your windows are wide open.

No comments: