Sunday, September 30, 2007

Problems with proportional representation

Some time ago, a friend and I discussed some alternatives to the first-past-the-post electoral system. With the referendum on "mixed-member proportional" representation in Ontario coming up this month, these sorts of discussions are in the news again: in particular, David Warren's column in the Citizen this morning detailed how much of what I highlighted as advantages of proportional representation could be abused.

I think he goes too far in characterizing it as a potential "disaster," but he certainly gives us food for thought.

2 comments:

Wayne Smith said...

Food with little flavour and no nutrition. Here are a couple of responses:

http://www.voteformmp.ca/en/node/605

http://drdawgsblawg.blogspot.com/2007/09/your-weekly-smile-david-warren-on-mmp.html

John J. said...

Believe it or not, I was in the process of updating this post with your first link as I realized I had a comment pending moderation. (I saw the signs for voteformmp.ca on this morning's commute.)

First, to quote your post, you got me: I have yet to read the Ontario Citizens' Assembly's report, but plan to do so shortly.

Second, I know a heck of lot more about this now - including the 3% threshold that mitigates Warren's "fringe" fears, as you say - thanks to The Agenda with Steve Paikin. I've included links to his show in my shared items to the left.

Third, thanks for pointing me to the second link: a withering critique to be sure.